- Altamont wins high-scoring shootout against Edwards County ODIN -- Altamont usually doesn't need offensive outburts when Deidre Ledbetter is in the pitcher's circle. One certainly wasn't neccesary in the Lady Indians' season-opener back in March, as Ledbetter tossed a one-hitter in Altamont's 6-0 win agains
- Early offense sends Lady Shoes to sectional final TEUTOPOLIS — The Teutopolis offense went to work early on in Wednesday's sectional semifinal game between the host Lady Shoes and Fairfield. Kadi Borries singled and Dakota Swingler doubled in the first two at-bats, setting up a three-run burst out o
- Levitt, Hearts hang on to 7-6 win Effingham advances to regional final OLNEY — As Kevin Daugherty watched the Effingham Flaming Hearts' lead fade from the dugout from six runs to one run, one thing never faded. His confidence that his team would hold on. Effingham led Salem 7-1 entering the seventh, with Daugherty goi
- Altamont's Lange, Loggers make NJCAA D2 tournament SPRINGFIELD — Katie Lange's freshman year was a time of adjustment at Lincoln Land Community College. Lange, the ace for Altamont High School last season, had to adjust her pitches, her expectations, even the amount of playing time she'd receive. "
- Carlen leads Cumberland to sectional title MACON -- Kaylee Carlen had been a rock on the mound for the better part of her sophomore season, but the Cumberland ace had been limited in her success at the plate. At least until Tuesday. In the Central A&M Sectional semifinal against Ramsey, Car
Lady Hearts close season with loss to Charleston
CHARLESTON -- Amidst the thunder and lightning, and the lengthy one-hour delay, Monday's Taylorville Regional play-in game between Effingham and Charleston turned out to be quite the battle in the early stages.
"Won it for Webby"
OLNEY -- Effingham senior Devin Mayfield made a promise to his fellow senior teammate Austin Webb Monday. Webb's grandmother recently died, and he had to miss the game to attend the visitation services. Mayfield told his teammate he'd do all he could to make sure Webb to not miss the final game of the season and suit up for the game Wednesday.
Flaming Hearts win sectional crown
CASEY - Effingham bested a number of regional foes, including St. Anthony and Teutopolis, on its way to the Casey-Westfield sectional championship Saturday. Effingham had 22 points to win the meet, with St. Anthony and Charleston tying for second wi
- Hablewitz's game-saving catch propels Cougars South Central bests Altamont 4-3 for regional title KINMUNDY — Rudy Hablewitz struggled at the plate this spring upon rejoining the South Central baseball team after sitting out the fall season. But the senior was still a difference-maker thanks to his slick fielding in centerfield. And on Saturday,
- Bulldogs' depth leads to regional championship St. Anthony downs Stew-Stras 5-1 WINDSOR -- The Stew-Stras Comets used a carefully executed gameplan to upset Windsor earlier this week to advance to the regional final -- don't pitch to Lindsay Floyd. It worked so well, they modified the plan for their final against St. Anthony, t
- More Sports Headlines