Four people were charged in the latest Illinois State Police sting targeting those who would sell alcohol to minors.
Officially known as an "alcohol countermeasure enforcement survey," the ISP sent underage individuals into 38 establishments in Effingham, Teutopolis, Dieterich, Montrose and Sigel on the evening of Nov. 28. The "special agents" would then attempt to buy alcohol.
Representatives at four of the 38 sold alcohol to minors. The establishments included A-1 Food Mart and Hilton Garden Inn, both of Effingham; Dieterich Mart Inc. and the Sigel Grocery.
Arrested on suspicion of unlawful delivery of alcoholic liquor were Chitranjan A. Patel, Harmik Singh, James P. Doucette and Rita A. Hewing. All four face potential penalties of 364 days in jail for the Class A misdemeanor.
All four were given a notice to appear in court and released.
The 34 establishments that did not sell alcohol to minors during the sting were B&R Beverage Connection, Danny's Qik Sak, Puerto Vallarta, Raintree Restaurant & Lounge, Lions Liquors, DJ's Party Supply, Silver Dollar Lanes, Scrubbys Pub, Orchard Inn, Downtown Lounge Inc., The Hangout Bar & Grill, The Gabby Goat, The Office Pub, Mach I Food Shop, Buffalo Wild Wings, Pizza Hut, Sporty's Beverage Connection, TGI Friday's, El Rancherito, K-Bowl, Bangkok Thai, Midway Pub & Grub, Quick Stop Package, Firefly Grill, all of Effingham; Kenter's Tavern Inc., Wessel's, Casey's General Store, and Brick Bat Bar & Grill, LLC, all of Teutopolis; Dozer's Pub, Jumpin Jimmy's, both of Montrose; Hefty's Inc. and the Blacktop, both of Dieterich; and The Last Stand and The Kazbar, both of Sigel.
Bill Grimes can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 132, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Local News
- State begins publicizing new professional licenses The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation is well known for publicizing the misdeeds of licensed professionals who have had their licenses suspended or revoked. But the IDFPR has decided to share good news, as well. The departm
- Scholastic team heads to nationals TOLEDO — For the past eight months, Cumberland High School Scholastic Bowl team has met five times a week, rigorously drilling over esoteric trivia and honing their skills for competition. They will find out if the hard work paid off Friday as five m
- Police search for semitrailer looters Effingham police are seeking burglars who stole a wide variety of items from a trucking company lot sometime over the weekend. The thieves broke into three semitrailers at SAIA Trucking, 1414 E. Fayette Ave., sometime before 7:35 a.m. Monday. Police
- Storms ravage area Dave Habbe still had a house after Monday night's severe storms. The rural Effingham resident woke up Tuesday to find his vehicles intact, as well. But Habbe still had quite a mess to clean up. Fallen trees and limbs blocked the circle drive to his h
- Crash victims identified The five men killed in a van wreck west of Vandalia Monday have been identified. Fayette County Coroner Bruce Bowen said the men, all from Baltimore, were identified as Emerson Baldwin, 54; Andrew Canada, 53; Antonie Mitchell, 42; Mark William 52; an
- Board moves forward with new track NEWTON -- Despite a tight budget going into next school year, Jasper County School District accepted a bid for a new track Monday. The district accepted in a 6-1 vote a bid from Midwest Track Builders of more than $91,000 for a new latex track for th
- Split board OKs fund to maintain TREC Effingham County Board agreed in a split vote Monday to create a maintenance fund for the multiuse trail west of Effingham. In a 5-3 vote, the board agreed to set aside $2,500 per year for trail maintenance. Chairman Jim Niemann said county officials
5 killed in I-70 van crash
A van carrying church members returning from a California gathering careened off of a southern Illinois freeway and overturned several times Monday, killing five people and sending six others to hospitals, authorities said
- Crowd turns out to dedicate VFW memorial After months of design, construction and maintenance, the new memorial at Effingham VFW Post 1769 was dedicated during a ceremony Saturday. More than 100 people attended the dedication of the granite memorial with bricks commemorating past and presen
- Drug Court gives grads second chance at life Greg Evans has been arrested more times than he can remember, spent time in jail, and been a drug user for 25 years of his life. At the Effingham Area Drug Court Graduation Friday, he hoped to put all that behind him. "The only hope we have is here t
- More Local News Headlines