Several hundred Ameren Illinois customers in Effingham, Shumway and Beecher City were without power for more than an hour Tuesday.
The reason for the outage is not yet available, but the power company reported on its website 467 Ameren customers in the 62401 zip code (Effingham) and another 284 customers in the 62414 zip code (Beecher City) lost power shortly before 11 a.m.
The Keller Drive commercial corridor was particularly hard hit. Restaurants along that major thoroughfare had to close during the lunch hour, as did the nearby Wal-Mart and other businesses in that busy area.
Two events scheduled for the Thelma Keller Convention Center Tuesday afternoon were canceled because of the outage, while a third event that had already started at the center continued as scheduled.
Power had been restored throughout the area by 1 p.m.
For more on the story, see Wednesday's print edition of the Daily News.
- Local News
- State begins publicizing new professional licenses The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation is well known for publicizing the misdeeds of licensed professionals who have had their licenses suspended or revoked. But the IDFPR has decided to share good news, as well. The departm
- Scholastic team heads to nationals TOLEDO — For the past eight months, Cumberland High School Scholastic Bowl team has met five times a week, rigorously drilling over esoteric trivia and honing their skills for competition. They will find out if the hard work paid off Friday as five m
- Police search for semitrailer looters Effingham police are seeking burglars who stole a wide variety of items from a trucking company lot sometime over the weekend. The thieves broke into three semitrailers at SAIA Trucking, 1414 E. Fayette Ave., sometime before 7:35 a.m. Monday. Police
- Storms ravage area Dave Habbe still had a house after Monday night's severe storms. The rural Effingham resident woke up Tuesday to find his vehicles intact, as well. But Habbe still had quite a mess to clean up. Fallen trees and limbs blocked the circle drive to his h
- Crash victims identified The five men killed in a van wreck west of Vandalia Monday have been identified. Fayette County Coroner Bruce Bowen said the men, all from Baltimore, were identified as Emerson Baldwin, 54; Andrew Canada, 53; Antonie Mitchell, 42; Mark William 52; an
- Board moves forward with new track NEWTON -- Despite a tight budget going into next school year, Jasper County School District accepted a bid for a new track Monday. The district accepted in a 6-1 vote a bid from Midwest Track Builders of more than $91,000 for a new latex track for th
- Split board OKs fund to maintain TREC Effingham County Board agreed in a split vote Monday to create a maintenance fund for the multiuse trail west of Effingham. In a 5-3 vote, the board agreed to set aside $2,500 per year for trail maintenance. Chairman Jim Niemann said county officials
5 killed in I-70 van crash
A van carrying church members returning from a California gathering careened off of a southern Illinois freeway and overturned several times Monday, killing five people and sending six others to hospitals, authorities said
- Crowd turns out to dedicate VFW memorial After months of design, construction and maintenance, the new memorial at Effingham VFW Post 1769 was dedicated during a ceremony Saturday. More than 100 people attended the dedication of the granite memorial with bricks commemorating past and presen
- Drug Court gives grads second chance at life Greg Evans has been arrested more times than he can remember, spent time in jail, and been a drug user for 25 years of his life. At the Effingham Area Drug Court Graduation Friday, he hoped to put all that behind him. "The only hope we have is here t
- More Local News Headlines