Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Warren Peters Warren "Pete" Peters, 87, of Effingham, U.S. Marine veteran and retired teacher and administrator, died at 12:59 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at his home. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham,
- Helen Mayhaus Helen M. Mayhaus, 84, of Effingham, died at 9:30 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Effingham. Burial will be
- James Niebrugge James C. Niebrugge, 62, of Effingham, local businessman, real estate developer and veteran, passed away at 8:07 p.m. Monday, May 13, 2013, at Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Fla. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Sacred Heart
- Terry Hunsaker Terry Hunsaker, 65, of Hidalgo, died at 11:58 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013, at her residence. Funeral services are incomplete at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Greenup.
- Peggy Chandler Peggy Ann Chandler, 76, of Effingham, formerly of Berwyn, passed away at 2:40 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, Effingham. Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Oakridge Cemetery, Effingham, with
- Eleanor Pulsford Eleanor M. Pulsford, 85, of Teutopolis, passed away on Saturday, May 18, 2013, at her home. A memorial Mass will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Burial will be in St. Francis Cemetery at a later date. Me
- Scott Westendorf Scott D. Westendorf, 34, of Batesville, Ariz., formerly of Teutopolis, died Saturday, May 18, 2013. Arrangements are incomplete at Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham.
- Jerry Zellers Jerry M. Zellers, 73, of Martinsville, died at 5:25 a.m. Sunday, May 19, 2013, at Regional Hospital, Terre Haute, Ind. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Martinsville Bible Church with the Rev. David Wilson officiating. Burial will be
- Dedra Gates Dedra Ann Gates, 47, of Chicago, formerly of Vandalia, passed away at 8:18 a.m. Monday, May 13, 2013. A private family service will be held in memory of Miss Gates. Dedra was born Nov. 26, 1965, in Vandalia, the daughter of Lee Ugene and Ruby (Elde
- Joni James Joni Dee James, 50, of Greenup, died at 1:53 a.m. Sunday, May 19, 2013, at her residence. Graveside services will be at 4 p.m. Thursday in Greenup Cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Greenup. Memorials
- More Death Notices Headlines